8/21/14

Arrival In Japan


I just finished my second day in Japan! So far it´s been amazing, but I´ve been super busy from the get go. Yesterday I arrived safely in Nagoya Airport without problems. 

I was then welcomed by my host parents and other Rotary Club members. I was so tired, but so happy to finally be in Japan. Everyone was so kind and helpful. And although there is a bit of a language barrier, I know enough Japanese to make myself understood. It motivates me to study even harder! 
After being picked up at the airport, we drove into Nagoya city to set me up with a new iPhone that will work in Japan. Then we went to Gifu city to set my phone up with a sim-card. After all that was out of the way, we drove to Takayama, were I got some needed sleep in the backseat. The rest of the day was spent getting situated into my new home. When it was bedtime I slept like a rock.

The next morning, I went with my counsellor and some other Rotarians to run some errands. We went to Takayama Highschool were I got to meet the principal and my teachers. Then I went for a tour around the school with my English teacher. School hasn´t started yet, but there were many students practicing with their clubs. I got a sneak peek over what kind of clubs there are to choose from, and so far I´m eyeing the Kyuudo Club (Japanese archery). During the whole tour the cicadas were buzzing (crying?). I think the sound is very relaxing, and is very characteristic for the Japanese countryside.
After our visit at school, we went to have me try on school slippers, gym clothes, and my uniform. All these things were found in different stores spread all around town, so there was a lot of driving.
From left to right; my first host mom and dad, me, my counsellor´s assistant, and my second host dad.
My host family made this sign, or placard for me. Japanese pop-group AKB48 has a new song that´s called "Kokoro no Placard" (Placard of the Heart), so I kept singing the song and dancing the dance in my head for some reason. I blame the lack of sleep.
I snapped this picture out of the car window. The ferris wheel is attached to the Sunshine Sakae building. SKE48´s theatre is located in there somewhere. I think I´ll be visiting Nagoya often.
I completely forgot to take pictures the first day here, luckily I got some snaps of the view from the balcony.
After running the school related errands we went to the old town to eat.
Takayama Ramen and Sakura Mocchi (which is a kind of Japanese style pastry)
I went for a little walk before dinner, and I noticed the sunset. After taking the picture I also noticed the bowling pin.
I think this is the entrance to a restaurant. 
My desk, were all the studying (and blogging) will be done.
Gifts from my host family. The slippers are super cute and comfy, and the fan is handy because Takayama is hot and humid. It´s hard to believe that this town is going to become a winter wonderland come winter, but that´s what I´ve been told.
I start school on the 25th of August, and the next day our class is going for a trip to Kyuushuu, Japan´s southernmost main island. I´m really exited!








2 comments:

  1. We love the slippers and fan! The kids send their love and wish you a wonderful first day of school. :) Love to you.

    ReplyDelete